Avalon’s aim is to help people who have slipped through the cracks, including homeless persons, people with mental health problems, disabilities and/or drug and alcohol addition, refugees and asylum seekers.
A large part of Avalon’s activity is the homeless clothes distribution program. Clothes, bedding and shoes are collected from donations then sorted and distributed weekly to homeless people in Melbourne, St Kilda, Brunswick and North Melbourne. Clothes are also distributed to refugees and asylum seekers.
We also found there was an ongoing need amongst the homeless for personal items such as socks and underwear. Through donations we are able to buy new socks and underwear and assemble packs to be distributed with our clothes distribution program.
Avalon is run entirely by volunteers and survives on grants and donations from the community. We need donations so we can buy the socks and underwear and also to help with running costs (e.g. fuel, registration, servicing) of the van called the “Moving Heart of Gold”.
Please Join this Giving Circle and Pledge your Donation
By joining this Giving Circle and committing to either a monthly or one-off donation, you’re joining with like-minded individuals and collectively making a bigger impact. The benefits of joining this Giving Circle include:
- Regular updates on how funds are being used. Through this web page you’ll receive regular updates on how contributions are being used and the difference it is making, creating a closer bond between our Giving Circle and the charities we’re supporting.
- A direct communication channel with the charities. You can contact the administrator of this Giving Circle via email if you ever have any questions about the charities or want to do more to help.
- We maximise our impact. Sometimes making small donations can feel like a drop in the ocean, and you’re not sure if your money is making a difference. As part of a Giving Circle we make larger donations which we know makes a difference because we get updates from the charities. Plus it’s more efficient for charities to collect donations and communicate with you via a single Giving Circle – meaning more of your money goes to the good cause, and less is spent on administration, accounts and overheads.
- Making big donations feels amazing! Donating $50 feels nice, donating $5,000 feels amazing. And studies show that being part of a Giving Circle means even if you can only afford to contribute a little, it still feels like you’re giving a lot!
We welcome regular giving or one-off donations
One of the biggest challenges any charity faces is knowing where the ‘next money’ is coming from. One-off donations and fundraising events are extremely important, but they make it harder for charities to plan long-term. That’s why regular giving is so important. When someone chooses to give regularly to a charity, even if it’s just a small amount it means:
- Certainty of funding. With regular giving a charity can start to plan for the future, know there is recurring revenue each month
- Reduces administration costs. Fundraising costs money, but the costs associated with regular giving are by far the lowest, meaning your donation goes further
- Creates a connection with charities you love. As you receive regular updates from the charities, it creates a real connection with the money you are donating and the outcomes it is achieving, meaning you connect more closely with the charitable journey.
- You’re in control. We appreciate that people’s circumstances change and through the MyGivingCircle dashboard you can change or cancel your regular giving at any time
So you can tell we love people who can commit to regular-giving! But of course we recognise that regular-giving doesn’t suit everyone and we absolutely welcome one-off donations as well.
How does it work when I join this Giving Circle?
Simply click on ‘Donate Now’ and pledge the monthly donation you’re comfortable giving, or choose a one-off donation instead. You can make the donation as an individual, on behalf of a company or anonymously.
Any donation you make over $2 will be tax deductible for Australian residents
The Giving Circle FAQs
What is a Giving Circle
A Giving Circle is simply a group of like-minded individuals who have decided to collectively donate to a Charity or Good Cause they care about. By joining together in a Giving Circle they can make a larger impact than they could hope to do individually.
Can anyone join this Giving Circle?
Is there a minimum donation level?
We've set the minimum donation level at $undefinedundefinedundefined
How long am I Donating For?
If you choose the regular giving option you are making a monthly, tax deductible donation of whatever amount you choose. You can cancel or modify your monthly donation at any time by logging into your account, and selecting the subscription you wish to change. If you choose a one-off donation you will only donate once.
When do my Donations commence?
If you are making a monthly donation by credit card your donation will be processed when you join, and each month after that. If you are making a one-off donation by credit card your donation will be processed when you join, once only.
Are my Donations Secure?
Yes. If you are paying by Credit Card your payment is processed securely by PayPal or Stripe and we do not store your credit card details.