The Lewis Co Humane Society is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) corporation which owns and operates a no-kill animal shelter on the Pine Grove Rd, Glenfield, NY. Our shelter relies on the generosity of our supporters because shelter expenses far exceed our revenue.
The Lewis County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was incorporated on May 7, 1915. The purpose at that time was the prevention of cruelty to the animals of Lewis County. At the same time, the Lewis County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children was also incorporated. Its purpose was the prevention of cruelty to the children of Lewis County.
On May 26, 1915, a motion was made to consolidate the two societies, the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the Prevention of Cruelty to Children and that consolidated society be known as The Lewis County Humane Society. The main purpose of the Society remained as the prevention of cruelty along with the support of humane education in the schools. The humane education bill was sponsored in March of 1917.
The Lewis County Humane Society currently owns and operates a no kill shelter in the town of Watson in Lewis County, New York. The shelter is also contracted with the townships in Lewis County to house dogs brought in from the townships by the dog control officers.
The shelter also houses homeless cats from the county.