FAQ & Fees
Can charities from any country participate?
We are welcoming charities from the following countries, all of whom are eligible to receive a grant
United States of America
Currently we are only processing donations for Charities that are registered in Australia, but you can register, vote for and feature charities from any of the countries listed above
What Fees does MyGivingCircle.org charge?
Our platform fee is between 0% – 6.5% of funds collected which is used to maintain and improve our website to the benefit of all our amazing charities. Unavoidable credit card charges are also deducted from the donation amount (usually around 1%) – with the balance going directly to you nominated Charity.
In some instances a Charity may pay MyGivingCircle for consulting services or marketing support but there costs do not come out of your donations
Is MyGivingCircle.org a registered charity or not-for-profit?
No, MyGivingCircle.org is a social enterprise, not a registered charity. That means that we are a company, but with the principle of doing good and supporting charities, not-for-profits and other good causes, central to our business.
Are donations made through MyGivingCircle.org tax-deductible?
That depends on the tax status of the organisation you are donating to (the organisation who is running the good cause you are supporting). If they have tax-deductible (DGR) status and you are an Australian resident, then any donation over $2 is normally tax deductible. It is up to each organisation to issue you with a receipt for your tax return (we supply the details to them to allow them to do this). Where possible we let you know which charities have tax deductible status.
When I make a donation via MyGivingCircle, where does the money go and is it safe?
All transactions are processed either via Paypal or Stripe who handle all transactions securely. We (MyGivingCircle) never store your credit card details or process your transactions directly. Depending on the organisation you are supporting, we either:
- First receive the money into our National Australia Bank Business Account and remit the donations monthly to the organisation
- Have the money sent directly to the organisation from PayPal or Stripe
When is my credit card charged?
In most instances your credit card will be charged when you join a Giving Circle and make a donation. If you have signed up for regular giving your credit card is then charged on or around the same time each month.
My circumstances have changed. Can I cancel my regular donation?
Yes. You can cancel your monthly donations at any time by logging into your account and clicking on ‘My Account’ and then ‘Profile’, and then ‘Payment Settings’ towards the bottom of your profile page. Here you’ll find any monthly donations you have set up and can cancel them if necessary.
Will I be contacted by any Charities or Grants Sponsors?
When you vote or donate to a Charity they may wish to contact you to thank-you for your support and keep you up-to-date with the work they’re doing. When it occurs, contact will usually be via email, and in some instances telephone. When a Charity wishes to contact a supporter we have strict guidelines in place that include:
- Only Charities that you have voted for, donated to, or indicated as one of your favourites can make contact. We do not share your details with any Charity you have not indicated as one of your favourites.
- If making contact by telephone, they are only able to contact you once unless you ask for more information or consent to be contacted again. Your contact details are not stored for future contact.
- If making contact by email there must be a clear and easy way for your to unsubscribe from future emails
- They must be courteous, professional and polite. We hope you’ll be interested in hearing from them, but if you’re not, no further contact is made
- They must abide by the Fundraising Institute of Australia’s guidelines regarding contacting you, which can be found here
If you believe any Charity is not abiding by these guidelines we want to hear from you and you can send an email with the details to [email protected]
When you vote in a Giving Circle the grants sponsor may wish to email you to thank you for voting, let you know which charities received the grants and/or introduce themselves and their product(s) to you. By voting you are giving express consent to be contacted via email only by the grants sponsor on the basis that:
- contact can only be via email unless you are informed otherwise
- you will always have the option to unsubscribe from any further communications from the sponsor
If you have any concerns about being contacted by a grants sponsor via email you can opt-out by emailing your details to [email protected]
I’m a Charity – When do we receive donations?
We aim to remit all donations (less platform and credit card fees) by the 10th of each month for the previous month, and no later than the 15th. To ensure timely payment please make sure your Bank details are up to date in your Account Profile
What is the difference between Donating and Paying to Feature?
When you donate to a charity we add an extra vote for every $ you give – even more for regular giving – and the money is remitted to your nominated charity each month less our platform and credit card fees.
When you pay to feature a charity we use the money to feature your nominated charity on our website, via email and social media to get them more votes, find them new supporters and new donors. This money is not remitted to the charity and we guarantee to get at least 1 vote or more for every $ you chip in to feature your favourite charity.